this is such a great idea i love it
I am Rubba, You Are Gloo
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
The beast tribe of Gloo is causing trouble in town and it's up to Rubba to stop them. He isn't really trained in the art of direct magical combat, but he has knowledge of photographic counter-spells. His camera allows him to capture the magic missiles cast by his enemies and shoot them right back.
Default Mappings for Keyboard - Controller
- [↑] -- Up Arrow - Left Stick/D-pad Up
- [↓] -- Down Arrow - Left Stick/D-pad Down
- [←] -- Left Arrow - Left Stick/D-pad Left
- [→] -- Right Arrow - Left Stick/D-pad Right
-  -- X - X
-  -- C - A
- Move -- [↑][↓][←][→]
- Capture Enemy Magic -- Press (and hold) 
- Return Fire -- 
- Flash Counter -- Press  (while in near a casting enemy)
- Open Chest -- Press  (when close to a chest)
- Fullscreen toggle -- F4
- Cycle colour paletttes -- F5
- Disable colour palettes -- F6
Lessons in Photographic Counter-Magic
When an enemy shoots a magic missile at you, press X at the right time to capture it into your camera. Each captured projectile gives you two shots of the same element. Press C to shoot the projectile back at the enemy. You can only stockpile eight shots of one type of element at a time.
There are four different elemental types: lightning, leaf, fire, and water. The mages of the beast tribe of Gloo spent countless hours honing their craft in a single element, which leaves them more susceptible to their counter-element. The cycle goes: Leaf → Lightning → Water → Fire → Leaf.
If you're feeling brave, you can press X while standing directly in front of an enemy who is preparing to cast a magic missile to execute a Flash Counter. The sudden bright flash from your camera will startle the enemy into dropping its missile onto its head, inflicting major damage.
What's New in v.1.2.1
- Added key config menu. Keyboard controls can now be rebound, controllrs can now be used.
- Added fullscreen toggle.
- Enemies can no longer be pushed offscreen by projectiles and Flash Counters.
- Enemies no longer give hearts when defeated. Instead, they give coins. The number varies depending on how they were defeated.
- Added chests. These give the player coins and hearts; their numbers vary depending on the player's current health.
- Added warning icons that appear above the player if they try to use Capture Magic, Return Fire or Flash Counter without enough energy or ammo.
- The player can no longer move behind the HUD.
- Camera frame moved closer to the player to reduce blind spot.
- Tutorial text changed slightly to make it more understandable.
- Fixed a bug with the Killer Bunny that caused the game to crash in the main menu.
- Fixed a bug where Rubba's out of ammo/low energy animation cancelled his hit stun animation.
- Fixed a bug where the player could still act after Rubba loses all his health.
- Successful Return Fire ending lag reduced from 30 → 15 frames.
- Optimized graphics and audio code.
|Published||108 days ago|
|Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux|
|Release date||101 days ago|
|Tags||2D, Anime, chiptune, Cute, gameboy, GameMaker, GBJam, Pixel Art, Retro|
|License||All rights reserved|
|Average duration||A few minutes|
|Accessibility||Color-blind friendly, Interactive tutorial|